Christmas morning breakfast is a long-standing tradition in many homes. However, there are some that don’t love the sweet, sticky pancakes and french toast but prefer something a little more savory. This Biscuits & Gravy recipe is perfect for those who want to start their Christmas Day (or any day, for that matter) off with a dish that is a little meatier with Honeytown Meats Seasoned Bulk Sausage
Canned store-bought biscuits can be used for this recipe if you aren’t up to cranking out the ones below, but I promise that the buttery, flakiness of these will leave you wanting more. *If you have never seen the Buttery Flaky Crust video, watch it here and prepare to laugh!
-½ cup shortening (lard or Crisco)
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 tablespoon sugar
-3 teaspoons baking powder
-1 teaspoon salt
-¾ cup milk
-1lb Honeytown Meats Bulk Sausage
-3 tablespoons butter
-¼ cup all purpose flour
-3 cups milk
-salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper in medium bowl. Cut shortening into mixture using pastry blender or by criss-crossing 2 knives, until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in milk until dough leaves the side of bowl. Dough will be soft and sticky.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead gently 10 times. Roll out to ½ inch thick. Cut out with a floured round cookie cutter, biscuit cutter, or a glass. Place on ungreased baking sheet 1 inch apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Make Gravy (while biscuits bake)
- Put sausage in large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown.
- Remove sausage using slotted spoon, while leaving drippings in pan.
- Stir butter into drippings until melted. Add flour and stir until smooth.
- Reduce heat to medium, cook until light brown.
- Gradually whisk in milk. Cook until thickened. Season with salt & pepper.
- Stir in cooked sausage. Reduce heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes. *If gravy becomes too thick, add in a little more milk.